Physical Therapy in Plaistow for Hand Issues
Welcome to Pinnacle Physical Therapy's resource on resection arthroplasty.
Thumb arthritis may be surgically treated with a procedure called resection arthroplasty or sometimes called excision arthroplasty. The term excision means to take out. In this surgery, the surgeon takes out a small bone at the base of the thumb and fills in the space with a rolled up section of tendon. The soft tissue forms a false joint that keeps the thumb somewhat mobile and stops pain by preventing the joint surfaces from rubbing together.
This guide will help you understand:
- which parts of the thumb are involved
- why this type of surgery is used
- what happens during the procedure
- what to expect before and after surgery
- what Pinnacle Physical Therapy’s approach to rehabilitation is